Sunday, February 21, 2010

Freelance Writing


Paying for school and still having money left over to spend on eating out, clothing, or whatever other expenses I incur can be a little bit challenging. I've worked a variety of part-time jobs, but balancing school and work can get to be a hassle as well. I started freelance writing when I was in high school, and I've continued to use it to supplement my income in college. Not only does it allow me to make more money on my own time, but it's also something really enjoyable for me -- writing about the things you love is actually pretty easy!

One site that I write for is called Suite101. You have to submit an application to them in order to start writing, and once you are approved you sign a contract stating that you'll write at least 10 articles per 3 months, so it isn't an intense commitment. An article is a minimum of 400 words, so not anything too extensive. With each article that you submit, you assign keywords that are your bread and butter as far as getting paid goes. Compensation is based on the ad revenue that your articles generate, and you get a small percentage in return.
It takes a little while to get going, and you'll see that some days you will make only a few cents, whereas other days you'll make a few dollars. The nice thing is that if you write "evergreen" articles that continue to be searched, you can still make revenue off of them long after you've written them. I have 21 articles published, and I usually make a little over $20 per month. Some writers make way more if they write more often. It's not huge money for me, but as far as I'm concerned, everything helps!

My second suggestion is to keep your eyes on a great website called Freelance Writing Gigs. Each day, they comb through Craigslist and other job websites to find the most legitimate freelance job postings. They also always link to great articles with tips and advice about freelancing. I got my current blogging job through them!

1 comment:

  1. This is great info! As a communications student, I'm always looking for ways to have writing samples that I can say were published, since I'm not part of the Ram or Paper. I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete