Monday, March 8, 2010

Barrio Chino's Grapefruit Margarita


My birthday was last week, so my boyfriend came down this past weekend to celebrate! We both really love trying new restaurants, and so we decided to check out Barrio Chino on the Lower East Side for dinner one night. I had wanted to try it for a while, and I was under the impression that the menu was Mexican-Chinese fusion. Turns out that it's really just Mexican with Asian-inspired decor, but that's OK because we had a solid meal anyway!

I've been somewhat obsessed with grapefruit lately. I don't really know why, but I suddenly eat it a lot, and recently bought grapefruit-scented hand soap for my bathroom. The second that I saw the Grapefruit Margarita on the Barrio Chino menu, I was totally sold.


While my boyfriend was happy with the random Mexican beer selection, I much prefer wine or a cocktail. The only problem is that I don't really like those cocktails that are so sweet that you forget you are having a drink because they taste like fruit punch. The Grapefruit Margarita was the perfect solution for me -- it was refreshingly tart, but not sweet at all. The only sweetness came from the sugar rim on the glass, which you can choose to forgo if you really don't want any sweetness at all. I got to indulge in a pink, girly drink without feeling like I was drinking Kool-Aid!

The Grapefruit Margarita will run you $10 at Barrio Chino, but I think it's worth it. The food is also pretty good. I had a Tequila Shrimp dish that came with rice and tortillas and avocado, and it was only $10 (yeah, I know, the same price as a cocktail -- but really, it's worth it!). I'd recommend getting to this place early if you can because it gets busy around 7pm, and I wouldn't recommend it for a big group since it's quite a tiny place!

Barrio Chino
253 Broome Street
Between Orchard and Ludlow
F to Delancey Street

No comments:

Post a Comment