Monday, January 25, 2010

Frugal Living is Hard to Do (But Not Really)


If you've ever been a college student (or maybe even if you haven't) you've probably had that stomach-churning moment when your bank statement dropped below ten dollars. Maybe even below five dollars. Or maybe, if you enjoy living on the financial edge as I do, you've managed to keep a whole $2.41 in your account.

When I moved to New York City almost four years ago, I had visions of eating out at trendy restaurants, shopping for designer clothes, and partaking in the most sophisticated of events that the city had to offer. I just forgot about a few minor details: a) These things cost money. Sometimes a lot of money. b) I don't have a lot of money, and the little amount that I do have should theoretically be going toward my college tuition so that I can, you know, stay in New York? It's a vicious and unfair truth, but I can't avoid it. Luckily, with some careful planning and lots of work (literally, I work a lot), I've been able to get by quite well so far. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of my knowledge about living in the city on the cheap, and maybe pick up some tips from others too!

No comments:

Post a Comment